December 5, 2009

Of Life & of Cake

Today is International Lolita Day! What is everyone going to do? Usually Lolitas meet up and do something. There was supposed to be a meetup, but it was cancelled because there just wasn't enough time to plan; HOWEVER there might be a meet up later this month and we might go ice-skating! Yay! Lolitas on Ice, isn't that something? I think it would be really cute.

Hoping to get a good camera some time so I can do some pro-shots around the city. There are some beautiful shots that I've seen on Flickr such as this shot of Union Station. It's gorgeous isn't it? This particular shot was taken with a Nikkon D700 by Jabassen Da from Flickr. There's a fantastic collection of the city I love that he's taken and it's just beautiful. Do check out his photos by clicking on his name. They're a real beauty. 


Often we forget the beauty that we're surround by. Day to day, we run from one place to another, trying to accomplish everything that we've tasked for ourselves. Life has enough difficulties and problems for us, so once in a while, you should remember to take a deep breathe and just a take a closer look at the things around you. Trust me, you'll see just how beautiful something you might not have noticed before truly is. Like this photo from The Ginger Pixie on Flickr which is as stunning as the photographer herself. If you don't believe me, go on and click on her name and take a look at her self-potrait. The intricate frozen water molecules makes a stunning border on these fall leaves. Absolutely amazing! 

It's so cold today that I opted to stay at home and bundle up with some cozy blankets. It's suppose to be snowing on Monday! *Brr* Had a nice cup of Milk Tea (courtesy of Lipton), but am missing my PG Tips. It's funny but the heat doesn't seem to like floating to the top of the house. Usually hot air rises (as I'd say if someone around me lets one rip.. ewww), so I was expected to be warmer upstairs. Eventually it was too cold and I had to move downstairs with my blankets. Decided to reread parts of Jane Eyre while having my cup of milk tea. What was really missing was some yummy french sweets, but I'm sure I'll have enough of that soon since I'm planning a Lolita Cake Run sometime in December. Does this not look DELICIOUS?



That's right ladies, this is from La Bamboche Patisserie in Toronto. Click their name to check out their blog. Own by pastry chef Stephen Nason and his wife, it's a fusion of French and Japanese sweet-tastic pastries. I am dying to try their macaroons since they're the BEST IN THE CITY! There are so many different types of cakes, souffles, tarts... I don't know how I'm going to stop. The best part about a cake run is that you get to try so many types of pastry sweet shops. So for those who don't know what a cake run is, it's just a way for us to visit several cake/pastry shops without overeating and getting a chance to try a lot of different varieties - all in one day. It's normally 4-5 shops which are usually all in the same vicinity. There are two ways to go about it. You can either pool together and everyone choose the cakes and tries them or you can just choose what you want. I prefer pooling together to try different cakes. I love trying new things!

What kinds of sweets/pastries/cakes do you like and that recommend I try?

Photo Courtesy of Tanja of BlogTO.com


Well, here's a little dessert crêpe recipe that I'd like to share with you all, the basic crêpe recipe courtesy of AllRecipes.com. I hope you guys find it as yummy as I did! ^^




 

Ingredients
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/3 cups of milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup of all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons of white sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
**My own addition: 1 teaspoon of vanilla, sliced strawberries, half a silced banana, nutella, chocolate sauce and whipped cream


1. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, melted butter, flour sugar, salt and vanilla until the crêpe batter is smooth. 
2. Heat a medium-sized skillet or crêpe pan over medium heat.
3. Grease pan with a small amount of butter or apply oil with a brush or paper towel.
4. Using a serving spoon or a small ladle, spoon about 3 tablespoons of the crêpe batter into the hot pan, tilting the pan so that the bottom surface is evenly coated. 
5. Cook over medium heat, 1 to 2 minutes on a side or until golden brown.
6. Remove from heat. Spread a round layer of nutella from the middle of the crêpe to an inch from the edges. 
7. Fold in half twice so it becomes a quarter. Lightly drizzle chocolate sauce over it.
8. Serve with the strawberries, bananas and whipped cream or if you prefer something creamier, ice cream. 

Enjoy! Let me know if you tried it! <3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment